The City of Melbourne views the protection of your privacy as an integral part of its commitment towards complete accountability and integrity in all its activities and programs.
This statement outlines the privacy practices of the City of Melbourne in relation to visits to any Council website.
Collection of personal information
Council will only collect personal information supplied by you to this web site when it is necessary to do so. The information will be used for purposes including but not limited to the following :
- To contact you where it is necessary to do so to aid in providing Council services requested by you such as obtaining a resident parking permit via our website.
- To contact you where it is necessary to do so to resolve issues relating to City of Melbourne services or functions which you have brought to our attention eg, where you have reported a matter you require to be resolved by Council such as a fallen tree branch via our website.
- To supply you with material concerning Council initiatives and programs where you have supplied personal information to Council for this purpose eg, where you have opted to be included on a mailing list for a Council publication via our website.
- To allow on-line financial transactions via an electronic payment system.
Disclosure of personal information
Council will take all necessary measures to prevent unauthorised access to or disclosure of your personal information.
External organisations to whom personal information is disclosed include Council’s contracted Service Providers who perform various services for and on behalf of the Council. Council also discloses personal information to external agencies in the course of investigating and defending of legal claims against Council.
These contractors have agreed to be bound by the provisions of the Victorian Information Privacy Act 2000. Information provided to these contractors is limited to contact details provided by you whilst contacting Council.
We will also ensure that your personal information is not disclosed to other individuals, institutions and authorities outside Council except if required or authorised by law or explicitly permitted by you.
The City of Melbourne will not pass on your contact details to any external agencies or Councils unless you select to have your request and personal details forwarded.
Agencies or Councils we may need to forward your contact details to include:
- Port Phillip City Council
- Yarra City Council
- City of Stonnington
- Land Titles (Vic)
- Federation Square
- Victoria Police
- Public Records Office.
All above mentioned agencies and Councils are subject to privacy legislations.
Access to personal information
Requests for access to documents containing personal information are managed under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 and should be addressed to:
Manager Governance Services
City of Melbourne
GPO Box 1603
Melbourne Victoria 3001
Phone: (03) 9658 9173
Correction of personal information
If you wish to alter any personal information you have supplied to Council whilst using this site you should telephone the City of Melbourne on (03) 9658 9658 or direct enquiries via e-mail to email@example.com.
Please contact the Council’s Privacy Officer on (03) 9658 9173 if you have any other enquires concerning Councils privacy procedures.