Volunteers play a vital role in the City of Melbourne’s tourism services. They provide information on Melbourne to around two million visitors each year. Their love and knowledge of the city and regional Victoria adds to Melbourne's reputation as a friendly, welcoming and culturally vibrant city.
The City of Melbourne’s tourism branch generally conducts one volunteer recruitment intake each year for the following tourism programs:
Places are limited and prospective volunteers must participate in a selection process based around the following criteria. Volunteers must be:
- passionate about Melbourne
- customer service focussed
- computer literate
- contactable regularly via an active email address – email will be the way the City of Melbourne regularly communicates with you
- available for one four-hour shift (either morning or afternoon) each week for a minimum of one year
- team players who love engaging with people
- flexible and willing to assist with additional shifts when needed
- keen to participate in ongoing learning and training
- able to demonstrate a commitment to the City of Melbourne’s values.
The ability to speak a language or languages other than English is also desirable.
An extensive training program and ongoing support and development is provided.
For more information visit Volunteering – frequently asked questions.
How to apply
The City of Melbourne generally recruits for tourism volunteers once a year. Opportunities are advertised on the City of Melbourne's recruitment site, and applications must be completed online.
If you would like to receive an email advising you of the next recruitment intake, please email email@example.com.
Please visit the City of Melbourne's tourism volunteer program frequently asked questions page.
To find out more about becoming a tourism volunteer, contact us online or phone the City Of Melbourne's Tourism Operations Coordinator, Tourism Melbourne, on 03 9658 9658.
Other City of Melbourne volunteering opportunities
Cooks' Cottage: please visit www.cookscottage.com.au.
For other volunteering opportunities, see national volunteer recruitment website Go Volunteer.