The City of Melbourne is the Responsible Authority for planning permits under 25,000m2. The Minister for Planning is responsible for some types of major planning permit applications and for applications for particular sites within the City of Melbourne.
The Minister for Planning is the Responsible Authority for the Melbourne Planning Scheme for:
- any proposed development with a gross floor area exceeding 25,000 square metres
- development and use of land being undertaken for or on behalf of a Minister of the Crown
- the use and development of land at the Melbourne Showgrounds, Flemington Racecourse and a number of specific sites including the Melbourne Casino.
The Minister for Planning is also the Responsible Authority for the area covered by the Port of Melbourne Planning Scheme.
Specific sites are identified in the Melbourne Planning Scheme at Clause 61.01.
For further information or advice where the Minister for Planning is the Responsible Authority, please contact:
State Planning Services – Statutory Approvals (Melbourne CBD)
Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure
Phone: 03 9098 8907
Published submissions to ministerial planning applications
On 26 March 2013, Council resolved to make available formal submissions made since 1 July 2008 by the City of Melbourne to the Minister for Planning for applications exceeding 25000 m2, where the Minister is the Responsible Authority.
The ministerial Planning applications search provides information such as:
- The CoM reference number and the corresponding DTPLI permit number.
- The address and a description of the proposal
- The City of Melbourne response to the Minister
- Links to relevant websites
- A submission summary