Skip to main content

Liquor enquiries

The City of Melbourne provides planning information to businesses seeking to operate a licenced premises in the municipality.

Three female office workers enjoying drinks at a booth at rooftop bar

A planning permit is generally required for the sale and consumption of liquor and must be obtained prior to an application for a liquor licence from Liquor Control VictoriaOpens in new tab.

Exemptions to this requirement apply, and depend on the location of the premises and the type of liquor licence that is proposed. If a planning permit is not required you must request written confirmation from the City of Melbourne and provide this to Liquor Control Victoria as part of your liquor licence application.

For restaurant and café liquor licences in the Capital City Zone use our interactive map to generate your report. For all other licences you must submit a liquor enquiry.

Submit a liquor enquiry

To have your proposal assessed by a planning officer and receive written advice, you must submit a liquor enquiry request to

For the liquor enquiry fee amount, please refer to the planning schedule of fees.

Restaurant and cafe licences in the Capital City Zone

Restaurant and cafe liquor licences in the Capital City Zone are exempt from the requirement for a planning permit for the sale and consumption of liquor. To confirm if you are exempt use our online mapping tool and follow the steps below. If you are in the Capital City Zone a report will generate that can be supplied to Liquor Control Victoria with your liquor licence application. This service is free of charge.

  1. Visit the City of Melbourne Interactive Maps website, enter the address and select the property from the drop down list.
  2. Check that the correct address is highlighted on the map. 
  3. Select the printer icon at the top left of the screen. 
  4. In the pop-up, from the drop down menu for Liquor Licence application report tick ‘Liquor License application report’ then the ‘generate’ button.
  5. If the property is within the Capital City Zone, a map and report will generate stating you do not require a planning permit for a Restaurant and Cafe Licence.
  6. Save a copy of the map and report and provide these to Liquor Control Victoria as part of your liquor licence application.

our acknowledgement

  • Torres Strait Islander Flag
  • Aboriginal People Flag

The City of Melbourne respectfully acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land we govern, the Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung and Bunurong / Boon Wurrung peoples of the Kulin and pays respect to their Elders past and present. 


We acknowledge and honour the unbroken spiritual, cultural and political connection they have maintained to this unique place for more than 2000 generations.

We accept the invitation in the Uluru Statement from the Heart and are committed to walking together to build a better future.