Melbourne's public transport network extends in all directions, with trains, trams and buses offering a comprehensive service.
There's also the free City Circle Tram to help you explore the city's major attractions.
Maps and timetables
For detailed train, tram and bus information and timetables contact Public Transport Victoria on 1800 800 007, or visit one of the PTV Hubs at Southern Cross Station or 750 Collins Street, Docklands.
Myki is Melbourne's ticket to travel on trains, trams and buses. It is a re-usable smart card that stores value to pay your public transport fare. You can buy and top up a myki at:
- close to 800 retailers where you see the myki sign, including 7-Eleven stores
- major train stations, such as Flinders Street and Southern Cross
- myki machines at metropolitan train stations and some accessible tram stops and bus interchanges
- online or by calling 1800 800 007 (allow 24 hours for top ups to be processed)
You can also top up your myki at:
- myki machines at railway stations and some accessible tram stops and bus interchanges
- on board buses (to a maximum of $20)
Touch on at the myki reader (located at the entry/exit points at train stations and on board trams and buses) at the start of each trip. At the end of your trip, simply touch off when you exit the train station or vehicle.
Failure to show a valid myki (a myki that is topped up and touched on) to a ticket inspector can lead to a fine.
Myki Visitor Pack
Visitors can buy a Myki Visitor Pack to travel on public transport in Melbourne and regional Victoria. It includes discounts and offers at 15 of Melbourne's leading attractions.
You can buy Myki Visitor Packs from:
- Melbourne Visitor Hub at Town Hall
- SkyBus terminals at Melbourne Airport and Southern Cross Station
- PTV Hub at Southern Cross Station and 750 Collins Street, Docklands
- many hotels and accommodation providers