The Safe City taxi rank scheme aims to address concerns about getting home safely late at night.
Managed by the City of Melbourne, the ranks provide a safer environment for passengers waiting for a taxi and for taxi drivers waiting for passengers. Each rank is staffed by a security officer in a distinct uniform, is monitored by security cameras, and has additional lighting and clear signage.
Queen Street mega taxi rank
The Queen Street mega taxi rank is located between Little Collins Street and Bourke Street, in the heart of the city's nightclub precinct.
This rank provides traffic marshalls to assist taxi drivers, and a food and beverage service provided by the Salvation Army.
Queen Street mega taxi rank operating times
- from midnight Friday to 5am Saturday
- from midnight Saturday to 5am Sunday
Other Safe City taxi rank locations
- Flinders Street Station, at Swanston Street
- 190 Bourke Street, near Russell Street
- 8 King Street
Other Safe City taxi rank operating times
- from 11pm Friday to 5am Saturday
- from 11pm Saturday to 5am Sunday
- during special events as the need arises, such as New Year’s Eve.