All City of Melbourne residential ratepayers are entitled to one free annual hard waste collection.
Commercial ratepayers (businesses) are not entitled to a hard waste collection.
Every household is entitled to an additional free kerbside hard rubbish collection during spring 2014.
When and where
Collections occur in the last three weeks of November, on a specific day for your surburb.
Saturday 8 November 2014
North Melbourne 3051
West Melbourne 3003
Port Melbourne 3207
Saturday 15 November 2014
East Melbourne 3002
Melbourne central city 3000
South Yarra 3141
Saturday 22 November 2014
Bookings: Bookings are essential. See details below.
High rise apartments
Residential apartments are entitled to regular hard waste collections, which can be arranged by the building manager.
Residents should contact their building manager if they require a hard waste collection.
How do I book a hard waste collection?
To book a hard waste collection, please contact the City of Melbourne on 03 9658 9658, or contact us online.
This fact sheet provides a handy summary of the details of the City of Melbourne’s hard waste collection, as outlined further below:
Hard waste includes:
- household white goods and electrical appliances such as fridges, dishwashers, washing machines (doors must be removed) and televisions
- hot-water services
- broken furniture
- scrap metal (no longer than 1.5m)
- timber (no longer than 1.5m)
- paint tins (dry paint and lids off)
As part of the hard waste collection, the council does not collect:
- recyclables (plastic containers, aluminium cans, paper, cardboard etc.)
- domestic waste (garbage bags)
- renovation material (carpet, sinks, toilets, plasterboard etc.)
- building material (brick, stone, concrete, soil, timber, roofing iron, steel and metal, etc.)
- hazardous waste (e.g. asbestos)
- liquid waste (chemicals, paint, motor oil etc.)
- garden organics
- car bodies and parts, tyres, batteries
- gas cylinders
- polystyrene and styrofoam.
Any unacceptable material will not be collected and you must take it back inside your property.
How much can I put out for collection?
Residents can place up to 1 cubic metre of hard waste out per collection.
What if my hard waste is not collected?
If your hard waste is not collected by 3pm on the booked collection day, please contact the City of Melbourne on 03 9658 9658.
Where else can I dispose of material?
If you either have additional material, or material that is not accepted through our hard waste collection, there are various other disposal methods:
Return to Household garbage and recycling.