All City of Melbourne residential ratepayers are entitled to one free annual hard waste collection.
Commercial ratepayers (businesses) are not entitled to a hard waste collection.
Bookings: Bookings are essential. See details below.
Spring Clean 2015
Every household is entitled to an additional free kerbside hard rubbish collection during spring each year.
When and where: Collections occur in the last three weeks of November, on a specific day for your surburb.
Saturday 14 November
Saturday 21 November
Melbourne central city
Saturday 28 November
Book in for your free Spring Clean 2015 collection online. Read below for details of what will and won’t be collected.
High rise apartments
Residential apartments are entitled to regular hard waste collections, which can be arranged by the building manager.
Residents should contact their building manager if they require a hard waste collection.
How do I book a hard waste collection?
City of Melbourne residents can book a hard waste collection throughout the year by calling 03 9658 9658 or contact us online.
This fact sheet provides a handy summary of the details of the City of Melbourne’s hard waste collection, as outlined further below:
Hard waste includes:
- household white goods and electrical appliances such as fridges, dishwashers, washing machines (doors must be removed) and televisions
- hot-water services
- broken furniture
- scrap metal (no longer than 1.5m)
- timber (no longer than 1.5m)
- paint tins (dry paint and lids off)
As part of the hard waste collection, the council does not collect:
- recyclables (plastic containers, aluminium cans, paper, cardboard etc.)
- domestic waste (garbage bags)
- renovation material (carpet, sinks, toilets, plasterboard etc.)
- building material (brick, stone, concrete, soil, timber, roofing iron, steel and metal, etc.)
- hazardous waste (e.g. asbestos)
- liquid waste (chemicals, paint, motor oil etc.)
- garden organics
- car bodies and parts, tyres, batteries
- gas cylinders
- polystyrene and styrofoam.
Any unacceptable material will not be collected and you must take it back inside your property.
How much can I put out for collection?
Residents can place up to 1 cubic metre of hard waste out per collection.
What if my hard waste is not collected?
During Spring Clean, when there is a high demand for hard waste collections, some collections may take place on the Sunday or Monday following your nominated Spring Clean collection day. If your items have not been collected by the Tuesday following the collection date, please contact the City of Melbourne on 9658 9658.
At all other times of the year, if your hard waste is not collected by 3pm on the booked collection day, please contact the City of Melbourne on 03 9658 9658.
Where else can I dispose of material?
If you either have additional material, or material that is not accepted through our hard waste collection, there are various other disposal methods:
Return to Household garbage and recycling.