Accessibility | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer |

What's on City of Melbourne

Report a noise issue

If you are experiencing noise disturbance, speak to the person or business that is causing the noise as soon as the problem arises, expressing your case honestly and respectfully. In many instances, they are unaware that they are causing a problem and will quickly remedy the situation. 

For urgent matters, you can contact the Victoria Police.

If you are experiencing a noise disturbance you can contact us online to report this issue or call the City of Melbourne on 03 9658 9658 from 7.30am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

Before reporting the issue, consider the following:

  • What happened? Be prepared to describe the noise in as much detail as you can.
  • Where did it happen? It is always helpful to know where the noise is occurring. If you don't know the exact address, the cross streets and other landmarks are very important.
  • When did it happen? Timely reporting is critical. Please call us as soon as possible after you observe violations.

We ask you for your name and phone number so that we can follow-up with you and let you know how the incident was resolved. This information is kept confidential.

Most issues can be dealt with without revealing the complainant’s identity to the source of noise. In a small number of cases the complainant’s identity becomes known, for example if action is taken in the Magistrates Court.

Authorities responsible for noise control

Council’s local laws, the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2009 and the Environment Protection Act 1970 include regulations to address noise issues.

Authorities include:

Environment Protection Authority
200 Victoria Street, Carlton 3053
Phone: 03 9695 2722

Victoria Police
If your issue concerns noise from patron behaviour outside an entertainment venue, or needs to be dealt with as a matter of urgency, you should contact your local police station for assistance.

Melbourne East Police Station
226 Flinders Lane, Melbourne 3000
Phone: 03 9650 7077

Melbourne West Police Station
637 Flinders Street, Docklands
Phone: 03 9247 6491

Melbourne North Police Station
36 Wreckyn Street, North Melbourne 3051
Phone: 03 8379 0800

Vic Roads
VicRoads Head Office Administration
Phone: 13 11 74

Department of Justice, Liquor Licensing
121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne
GPO Box 4356, Melbourne 3000
Phone: 03 8684 0000
Phone: 1300 365 111 (regional callers)


Mediation is a structured process involving preparation and a face-to-face meeting between the mediators and all the people involved in the dispute.

A mediation session is conducted by two trained mediators who help the parties to:

  • identify the disputed issues
  • develop options
  • consider alternatives
  • endeavour to reach an agreement.

The mediators control how the session is run and the parties control what is discussed and agreed to. Mediation is a voluntary process where each party must be willing to negotiate from the outset.

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria can assist in resolving noise problems. This organisation helps people settle their disputes in a co-operative and lasting way. Mediation relies on both parties to the dispute being willing to discuss the problem in the presence of a mediator. Services are free and confidential.

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (Department of Justice)
4/ 456 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
Postal address: GPO Box 4113, Melbourne, 3001
Phone: 03 9603 8370

Report a noise issue