Accessibility | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer |


What's on City of Melbourne


History

Melbourne tram with church in background

A historical overview of the foundation of Melbourne on Kulin land and the creation and growth of the Melbourne City Council.

City of Melbourne pavement plaque

Melbourne began as a settlement that lacked official sanction and subsequently broke away from New South Wales. It became a great 19th century city with many parks and boulevards.

Princes Bridge

Since 1835 to today, Melbourne has taken form from a small settlement to a vibrant city.

Man walking down street

Melbourne's population is made up of people from all over the world. Each community has contributed significantly to the city's development.

Council chambers, Melbourne Town Hall

History and establishment of the Council and mayor.

City of Melburne coat of arms, featuring two lions either side of a white shield divided by a red cross into four quarters

History and information about the City of Melbourne coat of arms.

Chair with Mayoral robe and chain

Historical information about how the Lord Mayor and Council is elected.

Interior of Melbourne Town Hall

The administrative block adjoining the Town Hall, which includes the Council Chambers, was built in 1908-10.

Information About

Docklands history

Docklands history

Originally a separate development without local government representation, Docklands was incorporated into the City of Melbourne on 1 July 2007.

See more Docklands history

Streets and roads

Historical shot of Collins Street, Melbourne

Well-designed roads, in particular the CBD grid, have been an important feature of the City of Melbourne from the beginning.

See more Streets and roads

Town Hall

Melbourne Town Hall exterior

The Melbourne Town Hall on Swanston Street is a magnificent heritage building and historical treasure in the heart of the city.

See more Town Hall

Town Hall Organ

Melbourne Town Hall Grand Organ

There have been two permanent Grand Organs installed in the Town Hall since 1872. The original organ was extensively rebuilt in 1905. The second organ was installed in 1929 following the Town Hall fire of 1925.

See more Town Hall Organ